Friday, March 23, 2007

Remembering Karen

Today I went to a funeral for a friend. I haven't been to a funeral in probably 10+ years. I must say I'm glad I haven't been busy in the funeral department. I had to phone my parents for funeral etiquette. As far as funerals go it was good. Karen lived her life in an inspirational manner. Eight years ago when her son was 3 years old and her new born daughter was 2 weeks old, she was diagnosed with a brain tumor. With treatment she beat that one and was doing well for a number of years to my knowledge. Then about a year and a half ago they found that it had returned. This time it couldn't be beat. She fought a good fight and passed away on Monday. Her life was an excellent example of not wallowing in misery. She was all about getting the best out of life and serving her friends. I know lots of people say nice things at funerals. " Don't speak ill of the dead" and all that. But I knew Karen and even before I was aware that she had a tumor, I still would have said this about her. Please pray for her husband and children. They too have had a long battle and now they have to face life without their wife and mom. I'm not sad for Karen, for she truly is in a better place that she was well prepared for. My heart breaks for her children. Rusty is a great Dad and will do well, but there is nothing like a mom and the soft place she creates for her family. Among the many verses on hope and encouragement the Karen had underlined was Romans 15:13 'May the God of hope fill you with all the joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, you made me cry too. Love the verse. Thanks. M